Icopal SBR Spray Contact Adhesive is part of the range of Icopal professional high performance spray applied adhesives. It offers a speedy application reducing costs by saving time and material.
Icopal SBR Spray Contact Adhesive is a single component moisture cured polyurethane adhesive and is supplied in a 22-litre pressurised canister and is applied using a spray applicator gun. It contains non-flammable propellants reducing the risks associated with pressurised canisters.
Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive is intended for use as an adhesive to bond fleece-backed membranes such as Icopal’s Monarplan GF PVC and Sureplan FPO fleece backed single ply roof membranes. It is also compatible with Sureplan FPO non-fleece backed membrane.
The product offers economical coverage rates due to its professional application method and is suitable for both flat and vertical applications. The professional spray applied system boasts a substantial coverage rate per canister of up to 80 m² allowing the roof to be covered in a short space of time compared to roller applied adhesives..
Features and Benefits
- Self-contained airless spray adhesive system
- Excellent alternative to roller applied adhesives
- Rapid and accurate application spray application ensures consistent coating
- Long reach wand allows operator to stand during application
- High solids content
- Separate application guns for field area and detailing
- Rapid drying with long open time
- Reduces waste
||Unit of Sale
||Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive (22 litre canister)
Application Guns & Replacement Tips
||Icopal Contact Spray Adhesive Gun
||Spray Applicator Detail Gun
Membrane Spray Hoses
||Icopal Braided Hose (3.6m)
||Icopal Spray Adhesive Hose 8m
Black with Black Ends (Not Moisture Block)
||Icopal Hose & Gun Cleaning Adaptor
||Icopal Hose & Gun Cleaner
Product Data and Performance
|Size (net volume):
|Coverage per canister:
||up to 80 m²
||Web spray to both surfaces
||5 to 60 minutes
||5 °C to 30 °C
||above 5 °C
||12 months (unopened)
Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive is compatible with tissue faced PIR insulations boards along with a variety of substrates commonly encountered in flat roofing applications such as timber, concrete, metal and more.
Important Note: The adhesive is not compatible with expanded polystyrene (EPS) or extruded polystyrene (XPS) insulation boards, due to the solvent content.
It is recommended that a test area be conducted prior to work commencing to ensure all materials are compatible.
Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive is suitable for bonding both on the flat and for vertical applications due to its instant grab, making it the ideal choice for detail work.
Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive is applied using a spray wand allowing for easy, precise and rapid installation. The spray wand ensures a consistent spray pattern when applied to the substrate, therefore reducing wastage and ensuring an accurate and secure installation. The wand also removes the need for contractors to repeatedly bend over throughout the installation, and combined with a long, PTFE braided hose the Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive system provides maximum manoeuvrability.
The high tack properties of Icopal SBR Contact Spray Adhesive give it instant adhesion, making it ideal for upstands and detail work where vertical grab is essential.
Ensure the substrate is structurally sound and free of surface laitance, oils, grease, dirt, frost, moss, lichen, and loose material.
The surface should be smooth and level, free from sharp projections and any material which would hinder adhesion. The surface should be free of ponded water. Do not apply if rain is imminent, remove all ponded water and allow at least 1 hour drying before applying the adhesive.
Canister Set-up Procedure
- Attach one end of the hose to the spray wand and tighten the nut with a spanner.
- Remove the black cap on the canister valve and attach the hose to the valve and tighten the nut with a spanner.
- Once both nuts are tightened and secure, open the valve on the top of the canister.
- DO NOT close canister valve until the canister is completely empty. To do so may cause adhesive to block in the hose.
- When work is complete, turn the black valve on the spray wand clockwise until fully closed. Clean the end of the spray wand with Hose and Gun Cleaner ensuring that the aperture is clean. Once the canister is empty, the hose to the canister valve can be removed and attached to a fresh canister.
- Begin spraying adhesive by pulling the trigger on the spray wand, adjust the spray width by turning the black valve on the spray wand.
- Position the waterproofing membrane, and fold back.
- The adhesive is applied by spray application using a the appropriate spray gun for field area or detail work. During application keep the tip of the gun approximately 100 − 250 mm above the substrate. Maintain a constant speed of application during spraying.
- Spray an even coat of adhesive onto the substrate and to the back of the membrane allowing the adhesive to cobweb across the surface with minimal overlap for thick membranes or approximately 50 --- 70% overlap to successive passes for thin membranes to reduce risk of telegraphing.
- Important: Spray apply the adhesive to the back of the membrane at right angles to the adhesive on the substrate thereby achieving a cross bond for maximum adhesion.
- Hold the spray gun at 90° angle to the surface and apply a uniform generous coat of adhesive, ensuring 80-100% coverage of two even coats of adhesive to both substrates. Move the gun parallel to the surface. Do not allow the adhesive to puddle.
- Once the solvent has evaporated and the adhesive is dry to the touch, bring the surfaces together working from the centre outwards. Avoid wrinkles in the sheet. Immediately roll with a weighted roller or broom to achieve maximum contact and a smooth, flat finish without air pockets.