Intensive Green Roof - Lakeside Marina, Doncaster

Lakeside Marina, Doncaster - Single Ply Green Roof

Project Overview

Project: Lakeside Marina, Doncaster
Area: 330m²
Completion Date: 2004
Contractor: Apex Asphalt, Sheffield
Main Contractor: Totty Construction, Bradford
Client: Persimmon Homes
System: Rootbar Systemintensive green roof

download pdfDownload this case study

Background

The lakeside development in Doncaster consists of a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments set around a lakes and marina. Built by Totty Construction for Persimmon Homes, the development has a garden courtyard to the rear and provides leisure space with planting and hard landscaping at ground level with a carpark beneath for residents.

Challenge

The design called for the underground carpark to be situated beneath the courtyard as a podium deck. Grassed areas, raised beds, shrub planting, pergolas and hard landscaping are the main features of the garden. Additional design requirements included the provision for access across a timber bridges to the podium deck. The structure had to be fully waterproofed, along with providing sufficient drainage and protection to the raised planters and surrounding building.

Solution

ICS1025-Lakeside-Marina-Doncaster_381x266In conjunction with Sheffield based Apex Asphalt, Icopal supplied a complete waterproofing and roof garden solution including planting and turf. The solution was Icopal's Rootbar system using the Rootbar capsheet membrane which provides not only a robust waterproofing membrane but also built-in root inhibitor to protect the waterproofing from potential damage from any plant root growth. The green roof system comprised Fytonop 20 drainage board, filter fleece, and Icopal's lightweight soil mix which contains 40% Fytocell™ Flakes.

The unique Fytocell™ Flakes are able to retain around 60% of their volume with water with the remaining 40% as air giving a very good air/water ratio for healthy and vigorous root growth. This water retention reduces the irrigation requirement, and saves on resources. The use of the Fytocell Flakes also reduces the soil weight by more than a third compared to standard top soils.

Apex Asphalt was involved in the project from start to finish and were able to supply and fix the whole system from Icopal together with the soft landscaping and planting, thus providing the main contractor with a one stop service. 

    Contact Icopal 0161 8654444

    Find Local Support

    To discuss your project in more detail please contact
    Your Local Area Manager

     

    Technical Support

    Telephone:

    0330 123 4585

    Email: technical.uk@bmigroup.com

     

    Sales Enquiries & Orders

    Telephone:

    0843 224 7400

    Fax:

    0843 224 7401

    Email: sales.admin@bmigroup.com

    Latest News

    Oscar heads for the limelight

    Read more...

    BMI helps Children in Need keep young people safe

    Read more...

    Everyone's a winner - that's the truth!

    Read more...

    BMI helps shield school children from sea storms

    Read more...

    The Roaring Twentie's – and 40's – see BMI take shape

    Read more...

    BMI's training facilities claim academy status

    Read more...

    Leeds duo take the hounours at BMI Apprentice of the Year

    Read more...

    This site uses cookies in accordance with our Website Privacy Policy. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To browse without the use of cookies, you can opt-out as explained in our Website Privacy Policy or adjust your cookie settings for your browser

    Icopal: We Protect Your Building